Head of corporate communications
13e rue LID - BP 27
06511 Carros cedex
Virbac code of animal care
A GLOBAL COMPANY THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN DEDICATED TO ANIMAL HEALTH
For over 40 years, Virbac's mission has been to prevent and treat animal diseases including those with potential zoonotic impact. To that end, the organisation has made the moral and legal commitment to provide safe and efficacious products intended for all animal species.
In order to comply with regulations and to provide safe and efficacious products, Virbac as with all pharmaceutical companies, is required to conduct animal testing in very specific cases: when necessary and where there is no approved alternative method. Virbac favours the use of alternative methods wherever possible and encourages initiatives which aim to replace, reduce or refine animal testing.
To ensure the implementation of these principles, Virbac has developed and adopted the following code which applies to all Virbac employees and external partners.
- Regulations as well as scientific and ethical frames of reference relating to animal testing must be applied. These measures apply to living vertebrate animals (mammals, fishes, amphibians, reptiles and birds) including independent larval forms and the foetal forms of mammals as of the final third of their normal development.
- The international 3Rs principles (Reduce, Refine, Replace) - Reduce the number of animals, Refine accommodation and usage conditions, Replace with alternative tests - must always be followed.
- The best standards of animal care and testing must be followed.
- Tests must be designed with the aim of minimising the impact on the animals and all measures must be taken to reduce the discomfort, distress and suffering of the animal.
- All tests must be reviewed for ethical assessment prior to implementation.
- All animals must come from sources approved by the authorities and be transported according to regulations in force.
- The skills, qualifications and ethical training of all staff involved in animal testing must be documented.
- Whenever possible, development of new alternative methods or implementation of existing alternative methods must be favored.
- When tests are carried out in veterinary clinics on domestic animals or livestock, for which the principles 3 and 6 cannot be applied, appropriate standards of animal welfare must be complied with.
- This code applies to all Group staff and external partners including specific sub-contractors, research bodies and suppliers. These external partners must comply with the spirit and the letter of this code when providing services to Virbac.